A lot of 30-year-old Americans have a common problem called bad knees, which is like a national disease in our country. Sometimes, knees can get hurt, but it’s not too serious most of the time, and you can help yourself get better. When the cartilage in your knee joint becomes weak or broken, it can cause knee pain.
You might find it challenging to do everyday things if you have bad knees. Rest assured, there are ways to assist you in feeling improved. It’s a great idea to consult a doctor for the best treatment. There are different treatments for bad knees, like surgery or physical therapy. Some people find pain relief by using knee braces, support pillows, or more comfortable shoes. These things can help your knees feel better and make it easier to move around.
Types of Treatment for Bad Knees
When your doctor recommends surgery for your bad knee, they will operate on your knee to fix the problem. During surgery, the doctor will remove the damaged cartilage. That cushions your knee joint and smooths the bone surfaces. It helps your knees work better. Reduces the pain you feel. After surgery, you will require time to heal and recover before using your knee normally again. The doctor will guide you on properly tending to your knee during this period.
Advantages of surgery:
- Surgery for bad knees helps to reduce pain and make it easier to move.
- It can fix damaged parts of the knee, like torn ligaments or cartilage, to make the knee work better.
- It can help you become more independent by reducing the need for assistive devices like crutches or canes.
- Surgery can fix knee deformities and prevent future problems like arthritis or chronic pain.
- Surgery is customized to each person’s needs, making it a personalized treatment plan.
Disadvantages of surgery:
- Surgery can have complications, including infection and nerve damage.
- It can be expensive.
- This often results in opposite results
2. Physical therapy
Physical therapy is a particular exercise that helps strengthen your knees. It focuses on doing exercises that make the muscles around your knees stronger. Why is that important? Well, when these muscles are strong, they can protect your knees. And prevent them from getting hurt or damaged even more. Physical therapy is like a workout for your knees to help them feel better and work better. Your therapist will show you different exercises to do, and they will guide you and cheer you on as you get stronger. It’s essential to follow their instructions and exercise regularly to help your knees improve.
Results of physical therapy for bad knees:
- Physical therapy helps make your knees move better and reduces pain.
- Physical therapy makes your legs stronger and boosts your confidence.
- Exercising the muscles around your knee makes your knees more stable.
- Physical therapy is like having a fun workout with a special teacher who helps you get better.
- It helps you move your knees without pain and makes them stronger.
Advantages of physical therapy:
- Physical therapy makes knee pain and discomfort feel better.
- It helps you move your knee more easily and without pain.
- Physical therapy makes the muscles around your knee stronger, so your knee feels more stable.
- It helps prevent more damage or injuries to your knee.
- If you had surgery or got hurt, physical therapy helps you get better faster.
- Physical therapy can help you feel less pain in your knee, so you don’t need to take as much medicine for it.
Disadvantages of physical therapy:
- Sometimes, doing exercises for physical therapy can make your muscles feel a little uncomfortable or sore, but that feeling usually goes away as your muscles get stronger.
- Sometimes, specific exercises or ways of doing them might not suit someone, making them uncomfortable. It’s important to tell your therapist if something doesn’t feel right.
- When you do physical therapy, you might need to change some of what you usually do daily to fit the exercises and treatment plan.
Knee braces and support pillows can be helpful for people with bad knees. They stop the knee from moving too much, which helps to lower the pain. Special shoes for bad knees can also help. They take some weight off the knee but let it bend, making it easier to walk.
4. Knee braces
Knee braces are helpful because they stop the knee from moving too much. This helps to lower the pain you feel in your knee.
- Results of knee braces for bad knees: Knee braces reduce strain on the legs from standing or walking too long, which can help reduce pain.
- Disadvantages of wearing a knee brace for bad knees: Wearing a knee brace might cause chafing and skin irritation where it is worn.
5. Support Pillows
Support pillows are great for people with bad knees because they spread the weight over a larger area. This decreases the stress on the knees and makes walking more comfortable. It also helps to decrease the time it takes to walk.
People who have bad knees might want to avoid some of these activities:
- Walking uphill or upstairs can put more pressure on the knees than walking on a level floor, so it is best to stick to flat surfaces when possible.
- Avoiding running and jumping is an excellent way to prevent pain in the knee joints.
- If knee pain is caused by arthritis, the person should try to keep their weight down. Exercising can help them lose weight if they are overweight, but it should be done in moderation since exercising may lead to further knee problems for some people with arthritis or other conditions.
Related: Bad Knees When Running
How to fix bad knees
- Exercising regularly can strengthen muscles around the knee area, making it easier to walk long distances without pain.
- If a person is overweight, losing the excess pounds is a good idea.
- Changing exercise routines can prevent workout burnout and help strengthen muscles in different body areas.
- Avoiding activities that make your knees move too much is a good idea to reduce pain. By doing this, you can protect your knees and feel less pain. Working with a physical therapist specializing in helping people with bad knees is also a great way to strengthen your muscles and joints around the knee. They will show you exercises and activities to help you feel better and have stronger knees.
- Staying hydrated is vital for everyone, especially those with bad knees. Constantly being dehydrated can lead to further problems in the long run.
Related: Bad Knees During Pregnancy
Home Remedies for Bad Knees
- Certain supplements such as vitamin D, fish oil, and glucosamine can help people with bad knees reduce pain and inflammation.
- Massages are an excellent method to ease the stress on the knees and provide some natural pain relief for those with bad knees. It also helps stimulate blood flow around the knee joint to heal it faster.
- Wearing the right shoes can help prevent knee pain. The best shoes for bad knees have good shock absorption as this will reduce pressure on joints and other body areas.
The best treatment for bad knees is to exercise regularly, lose weight if overweight, change an exercise routine when needed, and work with a physical therapist.
In addition, sticking to flat surfaces as much as possible will help prevent pain in the knee joints. Surgery may be necessary if knee pain cannot be prevented by exercising or these other methods.
In conclusion, using a treadmill is one of the best treatments for bad knees. A treadmill is a machine you can walk or run on without going outside. It can be an excellent way to exercise and strengthen your knees. Walking or jogging on a treadmill can assist in making your knees stronger and reduce pain. Just make sure to start slow and hear to your body. Always talk to a doctor or physical therapist to see if a treadmill suits you.